22 July 2009

Pasta Makes You Run Fasta

Photo provided by Gourmet, July 2008.

In college, I had two best friends: Kimber and Bolls (Kim and Molly, respectively). They were both excellent runners and I was not. No let me rephrase that, I am still not. But I do try and pretend to run now, thanks to their years of patient training and letting me tag along. They would toss around a phrase that made quite an impression on my life: Pasta Makes You Run Fasta. After traveling Italy extensively, I knew that Pasta Makes You Walk Fasta, but does it really make you Run Fasta?

Yes. No, seriously it does. If you don't believe me, believe this guy. And try this recipe at home.

Summer Fusilli: Zucchini, Corn, Basil and Bacon
serves a lot (approx. 6 grown men)

  • 6 bacon slices, more or less (optional)
  • 1 pound fusilli
  • 3 ears (about 1 1/2 cups) corn, kernels cut from cob or frozen/thawed
  • 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (about 3 medium squash), coarsely chopped (1/2-inch pieces)
  • Basil Pesto, 5 - 7oz. or about 3/4 cup
  • Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Cook the bacon in a large, heavy pan (Gourmet suggested a 12" skillet, I used a 12" saute pan). Cook until crisp, turning occasionally. Remove bacon from the pan and place on a paper towel. Pour off the bacon drippings, but do not wash the pan.

Meanwhile, cook the fusilli (as directed) in a large stock pot. Once al dente, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and set aside. Add the zucchini and corn to the pasta pot and cook, partially covered, for about 2 more minutes. Drain the pasta and vegetables.

Add the pasta and vegetables to the saute pan, add the pesto and 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Toss and season with salt. Add more pasta water if necessary.

Plate the pasta and garnish with crumbled bacon, grated parmigiano and fresh pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment