10 August 2009

Grass Fed and Farmsteads

Farmers Market DistrictA view of Downtown from the Farmer's Market

On Saturday, I finally made it back to the Dallas Farmer's Market. A few years ago, I lived much closer to the market and would frequent Shed No.1 for my weekly produce. Since our move, I could never quite make the trek downtown on a Saturday morning (the best day for shopping) until this past Saturday. I took $15.00 in cash as my budget for produce and my credit card for my meat purchase.

Arriving at 9:30am (the market opens at 8:00am), it was already fairly crowded in both the outdoor sheds, Shed No.1 and No. 3. I recommend shopping at Shed No.1, which is restricted to the local produce/vendors; the farms must be within 150 miles of Dallas. Take one lap around and see what looks best before purchasing anything. I left with a bag of: "Sweetest" little red onions, fresh okra, lady cream peas, J.T. Lemley's famous cherry tomatoes, freestone peaches and half a dozen organic, free range eggs. All for $13.00. After only 30 minutes of Texas morning heat, I was in desperate need of A/C. Shed No. 2, the indoor marketplace for eateries and specialty foods, was near empty and wonderfully cool. I was slightly disappointed with Shed No. 2, because when I previously visited this shed was packed wall to wall with vendors. This Saturday there were only a couple of vendors. Perhaps, the vendors get a late start on Saturday, knowing that the big crowds will start around 11:00am. Inside, I spent my remaining $2.00 on a fresh cup of coffee from Mawker Coffee, a local roaster that sells online and at the Farmer's Market only. I had the Espresso blend, it was smooth and bold. With meat on my mind, I search for Texas Supernatural Meats, a co-op of three separate farms that promise free-range, grass fed and natural meats. Feeling less than creative, I decided on a whole chicken from Rehoboth Ranch. A 4lb bird was $15.00 even. I left with a full bag of fresh goods all for $30.00.

We're going to have a cream pea salad and brown rice for dinner tonight. Tomorrow, I'll tackle the chicken and okra. After my pleasant trip and painless drive, I am disappointed in myself for not returning sooner. Stay tuned for next week's visit to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment