17 June 2009

Non-Dairy Should be Scary.


memaw's chocolate frozen pie
(we anderson girls like to pretend this is a "lowfat" dessert)

1 pkg cream cheese or neufchatel, my "healthy" preference
1/2 c. sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
combine the above ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
1/3 c. cocoa
1/2 c. milk
combine the two ingredients.
then add to the cream cheese mixture.

8 oz. cool whip, light ** See Update Below.
1 c. (or so) semi sweet chocolate chips
stir into the cocoa-cream cheese mixture.
pour into a chocolate cookie crust.* and freeze.

*You will have extra mixture, put the extra into a freezer- friendly container
freeze and enjoy as 'fool-proof ice cream'.

It's been at least three years since I've made this family favorite frozen pie. I can remember Mom, Ash and I serving up unusually large slices of this dessert "because it's lowww-fat." Ha. But seriously, I am now reminded why it has long held its place in the my favorites stack.And it's composed of such uber-processed ingredients. (What is Cool Whip? Non-dairy whipped topping seems oxymoronic.) Enjoy!

**UPDATE: My kitchen savvy sister, Ashley, has advised me that she still makes this dessert, too. However, she replaces the Cool Whip with homemade whipped cream! A bit more caloric, but in the long run much more healthy than HFCS and hydrogenated coconut oil, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment