22 June 2009

A Bakery Briefing



Winnie-the-PoohImage via Wikipedia

"That buzzing-noise means something. If there's a buzzing noise, somebody's making a buzzing-noise, and the only reason for making a buzzing-noise that I know of is because you're a bee.....
And the only reason for being a bee that I know of is making honey.....
And the only reason for making honey is so as I can eat it."

from Winnie-the-Pooh, A.A. Milne

Last week, I met Heather for our bi-monthly lunch at Empire Bakery on Lovers and Inwood. I have been admiring this bakery from a distance for quite some time now. I am a sucker for a good logo and yes, I do judge a book by its cover (and wine bottles by their label, however, I am steadily overcoming this weakness of character.)

The interior of the bakery, or "Baking Company", reflects the clean lines and modern simplicity of it's logo. Inside there are a few counter tables topped with white carrera marble but the space is largely dominated by the bakery display and counter. Empire sells an assortment of fresh breads, muffins, cookies and other baked goods. There are also retail shelves devoted to jams, jellies and other pretty packages. There are a few wooden patio tables outside, which is where we chose to lunch.

According to their website, Empire was started by couple Robert and Meaders Moore Ozarow to provide Dallas with European style breads. From there, they developed a sandwich line to highlight their breads. I think this is a key statement for Empire Bakery's sandwich selections. You choose your sandwich, pre-made, from a refrigerated cases and pay at the counter.
My sandwich, Mozzarella, Basil Pesto and Roma Tomato on Calamata Olive bread, was good, not great but nonetheless a good simple sandwich. The mozzarella and tomato sandwich is my go-to order for initial impressions; it is a sandwich intended to focus on the quality of it's few ingredients. As I previously stated, Empire's focus is on their bread and that came through in my sandwich. It was a smart combination because without the fresh, bouncy (yes, bouncy!) Calamata bread the sandwich would not have succeeded. The Calamatas were large chunks in the swirly, sourdough-based bread and they provided much needed seasoning to the sandwich. The bread made this sandwich.

And as we all know, you can't go to a bakery for lunch without getting something sweet. To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. I can tell that you've put great thought into your blog. Although I am gluten-free my hubby loves good bread. We don't eat out much so I am not up on the restaurant scene so I am glad to know that the bread at Empire is good. Might have to pick some up soon for Joe.

    Loved hearing your perspective in class today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I greatly enjoy your blog. I love the clean, simplistic look of it and your style of writing is very appealing. I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete